Don’t forget the garnish! Order online at shipt.com/sipwithsobewff/ to get ingredients delivered today. Shipt is the official grocery delivery partner of Sip with #SOBEWFF. Remember, thorough preparation will provide a more enjoyable experience!
Born to Rumhosted by Gio Gutierrez
featuring Annie Blake and Ayme Harrison of Death or Glory
WhenWednesday, August 26
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EST
Broadcast Live from SGWS Wynwood
This is one cocktail mixing class you won’t want to rum away from!
Annie Blake and Ayme Harrison, co-founders of Death or Glory in Delray Beach, FL, are going to lead you through a no-holds barred mixology lesson that worships rum! Afterall, National Rum Day takes place in August, and we couldn’t not celebrate. Come mix along as the always charming Gio Gutierrez aka @ChatChowTV joins Blake and Harrison to showcase the precision and utmost care that Death or Glory is known for when it comes to crafting cocktails. Lynnette Marrero, Zacapa Mixologist, will also be on-hand to walk you through the nuances and flavor profiles of the Zacapa Rum Portfolio utilized to make these cocktails. Marrero is an NYC-based bartender, mixologist and philanthropist known for creating the world's first all-female speed bartending competition, "Speed Rack."
From elusive and whimsical creations to seasonal cocktails with such strong flavor profiles that they practically induce a state of euphoria, this talented quartet has a drink for everyone. We invite you to learn how to craft the perfect libation with the same level of finesse and exquisite flawlessness that Harrison and Blake are renowned for. Mix along at your own peril - but let's face it, we were all born to rum!
Please note: Cocktails for this class are made with the following base spirits: Ron Zacapa Edición Negra and Ron Zacapa 23. Other modifiers may be required and will be outlined in the recipes.
- COLLINS GLASS, ROCKS GLASS, SNIFTER, OR WINE GLASS
- COCKTAIL SHAKER SET
- HAWTHORNE STRAINER
- JIGGER (OR LIQUID MEASURING TOOL)
- FINE MESH STRAINER
- 2 OUNCES RON ZACAPA 23
- ½ RIPE PEACH, PIT AND SKIN REMOVED (OR SUBSTITUTE WITH ½ OUNCE PEACH NECTAR)
- ¾ OUNCE FRESHLY SQUEEZED LIME JUICE
- 1 OUNCE UNSWEETENED COCONUT MILK
- 1 OUNCE PINEAPPLE JUICE
- 3 WHOLE PINEAPPLE LEAVES (GARNISH)
- IN A SHAKER TIN, MUDDLE ½ RIPE PEACH (OR ADD ½ OUNCE PEACH NECTAR IF USING INSTEAD).
- ADD LIME JUICE, COCONUT MILK, PINEAPPLE JUICE, AND RON ZACAPA 23.
- ADD ICE AND SHAKE VIGOROUSLY.
- DOUBLE STRAIN OVER FRESH CUBED ICE INTO A GLASS.
- GARNISH WITH 3 PINEAPPLE LEAVES.
- LARGE PUNCH BOWL
- 6 SERVING GLASSES OF YOUR CHOICE
- JIGGER (OR LIQUID MEASURING TOOL)
- 1 QUART MIXING BOWL (OR ANY SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED BOWL THAT CAN BE PLACED IN THE FREEZER)
- SMALL SAUCEPAN
- 4 OUNCES RON ZACAPA 23
- 4 OUNCES ROE & CO BLENDED IRISH WHISKEY
- 16 OUNCES UNFILTERED APPLE CIDER
- 2 OUNCES CINNAMON SIMPLE SYRUP (RECIPE BELOW)
- 2 OUNCES FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE
- ICE RING (RECIPE BELOW)
- PROSECCO (TO TOP INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS)
CINNAMON SIMPLE SYRUP (PREPARE IN ADVANCE OF CLASS)
- 2 CUPS WATER
- 4 STICKS CINNAMON
- 1.5 CUPS WHITE SUGAR
- IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN, ADD THE WATER AND CINNAMON STICKS. BRING TO A BOIL.
- SIMMER FOR 10 MINUTES AND THEN REMOVE THE CINNAMON STICKS.
- BRING WATER BACK TO A BOIL, ADD THE SUGAR AND STIR UNTIL DISSOLVED.
- LET COOL AND STORE IN A SEALED CONTAINER UNTIL READY TO USE.
ICE RING (PREPARE IN ADVANCE OF CLASS)
- APPLE SLICES (ANY TYPE OF APPLE WILL DO)
- CRANBERRIES (FRESH OR FROZEN)
- LAYER THE APPLES AND CRANBERRIES INSIDE A MIXING BOWL.
- COVER WITH WATER AND FREEZE FOR 5 HOURS.
- TO RELEASE THE ICE RING (JUST BEFORE CLASS), RUN THE BOWL UNDER WARM WATER UNTIL THE RING HAS LOOSENED.
- ADD ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS (EXCEPT THE PROSECCO) TO YOUR PUNCH BOWL AND STIR.
- ADD THE ICE RING.
- TOP INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS WITH PROSECCO.
- 2 LARGE HEAT RESISTANT TANKARD MUGS (OR 2 LARGE HEAT RESISTANT COFFEE/BEER MUGS), FOR PREPARING THE COCKTAIL
- 3-4 ESPRESSO CUPS, FOR SERVING THE COCKTAIL
- JIGGER (OR LIQUID MEASURING TOOL)
- 3 OUNCES RON ZACAPA EDICIÓN NEGRA
- 3 OUNCES HAIG CLUB CLUBMAN SINGLE GRAIN SCOTCH WHISKY
- 3 OUNCES ESPRESSO, PREPARED
- 0.25 OUNCES SIMPLE SYRUP (EQUAL PARTS SUGAR AND WATER)
- 3-4 PEELS LEMON (GARNISH)
- BOILING WATER (TO HEAT MUGS)
- POUR THE SIMPLE SYRUP, RUM, SCOTCH, AND HOT ESPRESSO INTO ONE OF THE MUGS.
- IGNITE WITH A MATCH.
- POUR THE LIQUID BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE TWO MUGS ABOUT 4 TIMES BEFORE POURING EVENLY INTO ESPRESSO CUPS AND EXTINGUISHING.
TASTING NOTES ON RON ZACAPA RUMS
- MADE IN GUATEMALA AND AGED 2,000 METERS ABOVE SEA LEVEL IN THE “HOUSE ABOVE THE CLOUDS,” ZACAPA RUM IS A PRODUCT OF CRAFT AND PASSION.
- RON ZACAPA 23 IS A BLEND OF RUM AGED FROM 6 TO 23 YEARS, IN A COMBINATION OF EX-AMERICAN WHISKEY, OLOROSO SHERRY, AND PEDRO XIMÉNEZ WINE BARRELS, CREATING EXQUISITE FLAVORS OF VANILLA, DRIED FRUIT AND SPICED OAK.
- RON ZACAPA EDICIÓN NEGRA CONSISTS OF A BLEND OF RUM AGED 6 TO 24 YEARS, FINISHED IN A SMOKED EX-AMERICAN WHISKEY CASK, CREATING BOLD DEPTH OF FLAVOR AND SMOKE.
- RON ZACAPA XO IS A MASTER BLEND OF RUMS AGED FROM 6 TO 25 YEARS, BALANCED WITH FLAVOR NOTES OF SWEETNESS, SPICE AND FRUIT. XO IS FINISHED IN FRENCH OAK CASKS THAT HELD COGNAC, PROVIDING THE EXTRA DEPTH OF CITRUS AND CHOCOLATE NOTES.
We recommend preparing as much as possible in advance of the class. Having all your equipment ready on your countertop and ingredients pre-measured prior to the start of the Zoom class will allow you to follow along in real time.
Lastly, don’t forget to get those cameras out because we are giving away a one-year FREE Shipt membership each class! You read that right – just share a photo of your cocktail creations by tagging #SOBEWFF @SOBEWFFest and @Shipt. We’ll select one lucky winner after each class.
Thank you again for your participation in Sip with #SOBEWFF. Please visit sobewff.org/sip-with-sobewff to view our lineup of upcoming classes and a full list of FAQs. Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions at email@example.com.
You can review our complete ticket policy by going to sobewff.org/sip-with-sobewff.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail and receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org following your registration. You will receive an additional e-mail within 48 hours of the class, which will include the Zoom link, recipe, ingredients, and necessary utensils. Prior to class, we recommend getting organized by preparing your ingredients and gathering your utensils. This will allow you to easily access all necessary ingredients and materials during the demonstration to create alongside the guest mixologist. Thorough preparations will provide a more enjoyable experience! Click here for Frequently Asked Questions for Sip with #SOBEWFF.
AN EXCLUSIVE ON-SITE, HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CLASS
Don't miss this opportunity for an in-person mixology experience at SGWS Wynwood. Swirl, clink and toast the night away, while sipping on your own custom libations, as you follow Gutierrez and his guest mixologist’s step-by-step instructions to craft the perfect cocktail! This incredible experience costs $1,500 and includes up to 12 individuals - e-mail email@example.com to book today!
Please note: social distancing protocols are enforced and guests will have their temperature taken via thermal scanner upon arrival.
Additional donations will benefit the SOBEWFF® & FIU Chaplin School Hospitality Industry Relief Fund, which provides financial support to independently owned and operated restaurants and bars impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. To learn more, visit the Fund page here.
Please allow up to 48 hours from the time of purchase to receive your e-mail confirmation. In some cases, the recipe, ingredients and instructions may not be finalized at the time of your purchase. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received the recipe, instructions and the Zoom link 24 hours before your scheduled class begins.
Yes! Follow us here to get the inside scoop on your favorite events, chefs and culinary personalities. Don’t forget to tag all of your photos with #SOBEWFF to join the conversation. Your photo just might be shared on our pages!
Unfortunately, we are unable to create a waitlist for any of our events.
Proceeds will benefit the SOBEWFF® & FIU Chaplin School Hospitality Industry Relief Fund, which provides financial support to independently owned and operated restaurants and bars impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. To learn more, visit the Fund page here.
You will not need to register for an account to join. Simply click to “Join the meeting” via in the link above. You will be prompted to download and install the Zoom app. Once downloaded, open the Zoom program you will need to give Zoom access to your computer/phone microphone and camera. When you are ready to join the class select “Join with Video” and “Join Audio” buttons in the bottom left corner of the Zoom application.
You will not need to register for an account to join. Simply click to “Join the meeting” via the link included in your confirmation e-mail. You will be prompted to download and install the Zoom app. Once downloaded, open the Zoom program in order to give the application access to your computer/phone microphone and camera. When you are ready to join the class, please select the “Join with Video” and “Join Audio” buttons located in the bottom left corner of the Zoom application.
You’ll need an internet connection and the ability to stream audio and video to participate. A link and details on how to join the Zoom session will be included in your confirmation e-mail.
Participants for all Sips with #SOBEWFF events must be 21 or older, unless otherwise stated on the event page.
Yes, you are encouraged to sign up for as many as you would like! Sign up on our website here.
We know you are creating drinks with what you have at home, and therefore may need to make substitutions. If you have any questions on substitutions or modifications before the class, please don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail and receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org following your purchase. You will receive an additional e-mail within 48 hours which will include the Zoom link, recipe, ingredients, and necessary utensils. Prior to class, we recommend getting organized by preparing your ingredients and gathering your utensils. This will allow you to easily access all necessary ingredients and materials during the demonstration to create alongside the guest mixologist. Thorough preparations will provide a more enjoyable experience!
Please ask as many questions as you’d like via the chat function within Zoom. If you are selected to ask a question after the drink is created, the moderator will unmute you. We will do our best to get to every question.
Each Sips with #SOBEWFF class is approximately 45 - 60 minutes. The host and guest mixologist will lead you through about 30 - 45 minutes of drink-making. The last 15 minutes will be a Q&A session with the host and guest mixologist.
At your scheduled class time, you will enter a virtual classroom via the Zoom link provided. The host and guest mixologist will guide you step-by-step through a recipe, answering questions along the way with the help of our moderator. At the end of the session, there will be a 15-minute Q&A session with the host and guest mixologist.