Don’t forget the garnish! Order online at shipt.com/sipwithsobewff/ to get ingredients delivered today. Shipt is the official grocery delivery partner of Sip with #SOBEWFF. Remember, thorough preparation will provide a more enjoyable experience!
All About Agave:
Tequila vs. Mezcal Cocktailshosted by Gio Gutierrez
featuring Mixologist Jules Gomez of Zuma Miami
WhenFriday, September 18
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST
Broadcast Live from SGWS Wynwood
We’re heading south of the border!
Mixologist extraordinaire, Jules Gomez of Zuma Miami, is teaming up with everyone’s favorite drink maestro, Gio Gutierrez aka @ChatChowTV, for an introduction to the different flavor profiles of tequila and mezcal - and their uses in craft cocktails. Gomez, a lover of agave in all its forms, enjoys using both tequila and mezcal whenever possible in the bold, cocktail creations she serves up at Zuma Miami. Gomez and Gutierrez will be joined by Anna Osborne, Agave Spirit Guide, Pernod Ricard USA, to give us the lowdown on all things agave - and explain the difference between tequila and mezcal! Join us for this comprehensive master class that is all about agave, as you sip on alluring and intense libations that are inspired by the heart of Mexico!
Please note: Cocktails for this class are made with the following base spirits: Tequila Avión and Del Maguey Single Village® Mezcal. Other modifiers may be required and will be outlined in the recipes.
CHILI & PASSION FRUIT MARGARITA
- MARTINI GLASS
- COCKTAIL SHAKER SET
- HAWTHORNE STRAINER
- FINE MESH STRAINER
- JIGGER (OR LIQUID MEASURING TOOL)
- CUTTING BOARD
- SMALL SAUCEPAN
- 1.5 OUNCES AVIÓN SILVER
- 0.75 OUNCES PASSION FRUIT PURÉE (STORE-BOUGHT, DEFROSTED IF USING FROZEN)
- 0.5 OUNCES UNFILTERED APPLE JUICE
- 0.5 OUNCES FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE
- 0.5 OUNCES VANILLA SIMPLE SYRUP (RECIPE BELOW)
- 0.5 OUNCES EGG WHITES (OPTIONAL OR SUBSTITUTE WITH AQUAFABA)
- 2-3 SLICES FRESH SERRANO OR SCOTCH BONNET CHILI PEPPER (OR SUBSTITUTE WITH CHILI BITTERS)
VANILLA SIMPLE SYRUP (PREPARE IN ADVANCE OF CLASS)
- 8 OUNCES WHITE SUGAR
- 8 OUNCES WATER
- 1 TEASPOON PURE VANILLA EXTRACT (OR ONE WHOLE VANILLA POD, SLICED OPENED LENGTHWISE)
- BRING SUGAR AND WATER TO A BOIL IN A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT.
- COOK, STIRRING, UNTIL SUGAR HAS DISSOLVED.
- LET COOL COMPLETELY.
- STIR IN VANILLA EXTRACT.
- PLACE CHILI SLICES IN A SHAKER TIN.
- GENTLY MUDDLE, THEN ADD THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS TO THE SHAKER.
- DRY SHAKE (NO ICE). THEN ADD ICE AND SHAKE VIGOROUSLY AGAIN.
- DOUBLE STRAIN INTO A MARTINI GLASS.
- ROCKS GLASS
- MIXING GLASS
- HAWTHORNE STRAINER
- JIGGER (OR LIQUID MEASURING TOOL)
- CUTTING BOARD
- 1.5 OUNCES AVIÓN RESERVA 44 EXTRA AÑEJO
- 1 OUNCE LILLET BLANC
- 0.5 OUNCES BIANCO VERMOUTH
- 0.5 OUNCES DRY VERMOUTH
- 1 TWIST FRESH GRAPEFRUIT (GARNISH)
- 1 SLICE/FAN FRESH CUCUMBER (GARNISH)
- FEVER-TREE PREMIUM CLUB SODA (OPTIONAL, SEE NOTE BELOW)*
- COMBINE ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS IN A MIXING GLASS.
- ADD ICE AND STIR.
- STRAIN INTO A ROCKS GLASS OVER A LARGE ICE CUBE (OR USE REGULAR ICE).
- GARNISH WITH A GRAPEFRUIT TWIST AND CUCUMBER SLICE/FAN.
*ALTERNATIVE WHITE LOTUS HIGHBALL METHOD: BUILD IN A HIGHBALL GLASS OVER ICE AND TOP WITH FEVER-TREE PREMIUM CLUB SODA.
- ROCKS OR COLLINS GLASS
- JIGGER (OR LIQUID MEASURING TOOL)
- CUTTING BOARD
- 1.5 OUNCES VIDA DE SAN LUIS DEL RIO® DEL MAGUEY SINGLE VILLAGE® MEZCAL
- 3-4 OUNCES FEVER-TREE SPARKLING PINK GRAPEFRUIT
- 0.25 OUNCES FRESHLY SQUEEZED LIME JUICE (OPTIONAL)
- 1 WEDGE FRESH GRAPEFRUIT (GARNISH)
- SALT (OPTIONAL, FOR RIM)
- BUILD ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS IN A ROCKS OR HIGHBALL GLASS FILLED WITH ICE.
- TOP WITH FEVER-TREE SPARKLING PINK GRAPEFRUIT AND GARNISH WITH A GRAPEFRUIT WEDGE.
TASTING NOTES ON FEATURED SPIRITS & PREMIUM MIXERS:
- AVIÓN SILVER: PRODUCT OF SINGLE SOURCE BLUE WEBER AGAVE FROM THE HIGHLANDS OF JALISCO, MEXICO BRINGS A PERFECT SYNERGY ACROSS SWEET, FRUITY AND VEGETAL NOTES THAT PAIR PERFECTLY WITH ANY COCKTAIL. ITS VELVET LIKE MOUTH FEEL FURTHER OPENS UP FLAVORS COMPARABLE TO HONEY COATED SWEET POTATOES, GRILLED PINEAPPLES AND LIGHT HINTS OF WHITE PEPPER FOR AN INCREDIBLY UNIQUE DRINKING EXPERIENCE.
- AVIÓN RESERVA 44 EXTRA AÑEJO: MASTER DISTILLER, ALEJANDRO LOPEZ, WITH HIS PASSION FOR ROBUST FLAVORS AND INNOVATION HAS TAKEN AVION IN ITS TRUEST FORM AND BARREL AGED IT FOR A TOTAL OF 44 MONTHS. APPROACHING ITS LAST MONTH IN EX-BOURBON CASKS, THE LIQUID IS TRANSFERRED TO PETIT OAK BARRELS WHERE AVION RESERVA 44’S NATURAL NOTES OF FALL SPICES, BITTER DARK CHOCOLATE AND ORANGE ZEST REALLY BEGIN TO SHINE ONLY ELEVATING ITS PRESENCE IN YOUR GLASS. FEEL FREE TO ENJOY NEAT OR ACCOMPANIED BY ONE SINGLE ICE CUBE.
- DEL MAGUEY - VIDA DE SAN LUIS DEL RIO® SINGLE VILLAGE® MEZCAL: IS A TRUE CHAMPION FOR MEZCALS BEING SIPPED ALL OVER THE WORLD. IT OFFERS AROMAS OF SMOKED TROPICAL FRUITS, HONEY AND FIRE ROASTED ESPADIN AGAVE WHILE DISPLAYING COMPLEX FLAVORS OF BANANA, CINNAMON, AND SUBTLE HINTS OF TANGERINE AND GINGER.
- FEVER-TREE: FOUNDED IN 2005, IS THE LEADING PREMIUM LINE OF CARBONATED MIXERS. IT PROCURES THE WORLD'S FINEST INGREDIENTS FROM ACROSS THE GLOBE, INCLUDING QUININE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, GINGER FROM IVORY COAST, INDIA AND NIGERIA, AND LEMONS FROM SICILY. THE FEVER-TREE RANGE IS DESIGNED TO COMPLEMENT AND ENHANCE A WIDE ARRAY OF PREMIUM SPIRITS AND WITH ITS HIGH QUALITY AND NATURALLY SOURCED INGREDIENTS IS THE PERFECT ACCOMPANIMENT TO ANY DRINKING OCCASION. SINCE ITS LAUNCH, FEVER-TREE HAS COLLECTED A VAST NUMBER OF AWARDS, INCLUDING THE BEST SELLING & TOP TRENDING TONIC WATER FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE YEARS BY DRINKS INTERNATIONAL'S SURVEYS OF THE WORLD'S BEST BARS. IN THE U.S., FEVER-TREE'S PORTFOLIO INCLUDES 18 MIXERS, COMPRISING TONICS, GINGER ALES AND GINGER BEERS THAT ARE AVAILABLE AT LEADING RETAILERS, BARS AND RESTAURANTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
- FEVER-TREE PREMIUM CLUB SODA: BY USING SOFT SPRING WATER, BICARBONATE OF SODA AND A HIGH LEVEL OF CARBONATION, WE'VE CREATED A DELICIOUS CLUB SODA WITH A DELICATE AROMA. PERFECT FOR BRINGING OUT THE BEST FLAVORS OF THE FINEST SPIRITS.OUR CLUB SODA HAS A SILKY SMOOTH TEXTURE CREATED BY USING THE FINEST SPRING WATER (WHICH HAS A LOW MINERAL CONTENT) AND A HIGH LEVEL OF CARBONATION; IT HAS NO AROMA SO IT CAN MORE EFFECTIVELY BRING TO LIFE THE FLAVORS OF THE PREMIUM SPIRIT IT'S BEING MIXED WITH.
- FEVER-TREE SPARKLING PINK GRAPEFRUIT: MADE WITH REAL JUICE FROM HANDPICKED PINK FLORIDA GRAPEFRUITS. AN IMPRESSIVE UPFRONT BURST OF FRESH GRAPEFRUIT CAREFULLY BALANCED WITH SOFT PINK GRAPEFRUIT FLORAL NOTES WITH ONLY 30 CALORIES PER BOTTLE. THE PERFECT LEVELS OF CARBONATION AND REAL JUICE CONTENT PROVIDE A ROUNDED BASE WHICH COMPLEMENTS THE BEST PREMIUM TEQUILAS AND VODKAS FOR A REFRESHING, LIGHT SPRITZ. OUR RECIPE IS MADE WITH REAL JUICE INCLUDING FROM HAND-PICKED FLORIDA GRAPEFRUITS. THERE IS A REASON WHY FLORIDA GRAPEFRUITS ARE KNOWN WORLDWIDE AS A REPRESENTATION OF THE PERFECT PINK GRAPEFRUIT. THE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF YEAR-ROUND SUN COMBINE HARMONIOUSLY WITH OPTIMAL AMOUNTS OF PRECIPITATION AND THE PERFECT SOIL FOR IRRIGATION, ALLOWING THE GRAPEFRUITS GROWN IN THIS REGION TO DEVELOP THE PERFECT BITTER TO SWEET RATIO.
We recommend preparing as much as possible in advance of the class. Having all your equipment ready on your countertop and ingredients pre-measured prior to the start of the Zoom class will allow you to follow along in real time.
Lastly, don’t forget to get those cameras out because we are giving away a one-year FREE Shipt membership each class! You read that right – just share a photo of your cocktail creations by tagging #SOBEWFF @SOBEWFFest and @Shipt. We’ll select one lucky winner after each class.
Thank you again for your participation in Sip with #SOBEWFF. Please visit sobewff.org/sip-with-sobewff to view our lineup of upcoming classes and a full list of FAQs. Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions at email@example.com.
You can review our complete ticket policy by going to sobewff.org/sip-with-sobewff.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail and receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org following your registration. You will receive an additional e-mail within 48 hours of the class, which will include the Zoom link, recipe, ingredients, and necessary utensils. Prior to class, we recommend getting organized by preparing your ingredients and gathering your utensils. This will allow you to easily access all necessary ingredients and materials during the demonstration to create alongside the guest mixologist. Thorough preparations will provide a more enjoyable experience! Click here for Frequently Asked Questions for Sip with #SOBEWFF.
AN EXCLUSIVE ON-SITE, HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CLASS
Don't miss this opportunity for an in-person mixology experience at SGWS Wynwood. Swirl, clink and toast the night away, while sipping on your own custom libations, as you follow Gutierrez and his guest mixologist’s step-by-step instructions to craft the perfect cocktail! This incredible experience costs $1,500 and includes up to 12 individuals - e-mail email@example.com to book today!
Please note: social distancing protocols are enforced and guests will have their temperature taken via thermal scanner upon arrival.
Additional donations will benefit the SOBEWFF® & FIU Chaplin School Hospitality Industry Relief Fund, which provides financial support to independently owned and operated restaurants and bars impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. To learn more, visit the Fund page here.
Please allow up to 48 hours from the time of purchase to receive your e-mail confirmation. In some cases, the recipe, ingredients and instructions may not be finalized at the time of your purchase. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received the recipe, instructions and the Zoom link 24 hours before your scheduled class begins.
Yes! Follow us here to get the inside scoop on your favorite events, chefs and culinary personalities. Don’t forget to tag all of your photos with #SOBEWFF to join the conversation. Your photo just might be shared on our pages!
Unfortunately, we are unable to create a waitlist for any of our events.
Proceeds will benefit the SOBEWFF® & FIU Chaplin School Hospitality Industry Relief Fund, which provides financial support to independently owned and operated restaurants and bars impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. To learn more, visit the Fund page here.
You will not need to register for an account to join. Simply click to “Join the meeting” via in the link above. You will be prompted to download and install the Zoom app. Once downloaded, open the Zoom program you will need to give Zoom access to your computer/phone microphone and camera. When you are ready to join the class select “Join with Video” and “Join Audio” buttons in the bottom left corner of the Zoom application.
You will not need to register for an account to join. Simply click to “Join the meeting” via the link included in your confirmation e-mail. You will be prompted to download and install the Zoom app. Once downloaded, open the Zoom program in order to give the application access to your computer/phone microphone and camera. When you are ready to join the class, please select the “Join with Video” and “Join Audio” buttons located in the bottom left corner of the Zoom application.
You’ll need an internet connection and the ability to stream audio and video to participate. A link and details on how to join the Zoom session will be included in your confirmation e-mail.
Participants for all Sips with #SOBEWFF events must be 21 or older, unless otherwise stated on the event page.
Yes, you are encouraged to sign up for as many as you would like! Sign up on our website here.
We know you are creating drinks with what you have at home, and therefore may need to make substitutions. If you have any questions on substitutions or modifications before the class, please don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail and receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org following your purchase. You will receive an additional e-mail within 48 hours which will include the Zoom link, recipe, ingredients, and necessary utensils. Prior to class, we recommend getting organized by preparing your ingredients and gathering your utensils. This will allow you to easily access all necessary ingredients and materials during the demonstration to create alongside the guest mixologist. Thorough preparations will provide a more enjoyable experience!
Please ask as many questions as you’d like via the chat function within Zoom. If you are selected to ask a question after the drink is created, the moderator will unmute you. We will do our best to get to every question.
Each Sips with #SOBEWFF class is approximately 45 - 60 minutes. The host and guest mixologist will lead you through about 30 - 45 minutes of drink-making. The last 15 minutes will be a Q&A session with the host and guest mixologist.
At your scheduled class time, you will enter a virtual classroom via the Zoom link provided. The host and guest mixologist will guide you step-by-step through a recipe, answering questions along the way with the help of our moderator. At the end of the session, there will be a 15-minute Q&A session with the host and guest mixologist.